Generic Name: Carisoprodol
Brand Name: Soma
Carisoprodol, sold under the trade name Soma among others, is a drug utilized for musculoskeletal conditions of acute or severe pain. Use is only for as long as three weeks. Therapeutic impacts start within 30 minutes and keep going for as long as six hours. It is an oral medication taken by mouth.
Carisoprodol endorsed for clinical use in the United States in 1959. Its endorsement in Europe was pulled back in 2008. It is accessible as a generic prescription. In the United States, the cost of the medicine is under US$0.10 per pill. In 2016 it was the 181st among the 200 most prescribed medicine in the United States with over 3 million users. In the United States, it is a Schedule-IV controlled substance under the CSA by the Drug Enforcement Administration.
Carisoprodol is a muscle relaxer that treats pain sensations between the nerves and the mind. It is more helpful together with rest, physical exercises, and non-intrusive treatment to treat skeletal muscle conditions, for example, pain or injury.
Use Carisoprodol just for brief periods (up to half a month) because there is no proof of its viability in long haul use, and most skeletal muscle wounds are by and large of brief span. Carisoprodol is viewed as a controlled substance in the United States.
Carisoprodol is to be used along with rest, physical therapy, and other measures to relax muscles after strains, sprains, and muscle injuries. It comes in conventional tablet form and is taken by the mouth three times a day and before bed.
Carisoprodol has a quick, 30-minute beginning of activity, with the previously mentioned impacts enduring around two to six hours. It is processed in the liver utilizing the cytochrome P450 oxidase isozyme CYP2C19, discharged by the kidneys, and has around an eight-hour half-life. A large extent of carisoprodol converts to meprobamate, which is a known medication of misuse and reliance; this could represent the maltreatment capability of carisoprodol (meprobamate levels arrive at higher pinnacle plasma levels than carisoprodol itself following organization).
Meprobamate is accepted to assume a critical job in the impacts of carisoprodol and meprobamates long half-life brings about bioaccumulation following broadened times of carisoprodol organization. It is marginally solvent in water and openly dissolvable in ethanol, chloroform, and CH3)2CO. The medication’s solvency is free of pH.
- Initial Dose: 250 mg to 350 mg taken two to three times a day and before going to bed
- Dosage increase: A health care provider may increase the dose if necessary
- Duration: The maximum length of therapy with Carisoprodol is up to two to three weeks
Note: Use Carisoprodol for only short periods (2-3 weeks) as there is no adequate evidence for the effectiveness and safety for prolonged use of Carisoprodol in case of acute and painful musculoskeletal conditions.
- You ought not take carisoprodol if you have porphyria (a hereditary compound issue that causes manifestations influencing the skin or sensory system).
- Carisoprodol might be addictive or habit-forming. Never share this medication with someone else. Abuse of a habit-forming medication can cause dependence or enslavement, overdoses, or demise.
- Carisoprodol can cause symptoms that may debilitate your responses. Be cautious when you drive or do whatever expects you to be wakeful and alert. Abstain from drinking liquor. It can build sluggishness and dazedness brought about by this medication.
- You may have withdrawal manifestations when you quit utilizing this medication in the run of using it over a significant period. Try not to discontinue using this drug out of nowhere without first conversing with your primary care physician. You may need to gradually lessen the use before you stop the medicine.
- You ought not use this medication if you are oversensitive to carisoprodol or meprobamate, or on the off chance that you have:
- porphyria (a hereditary chemical issue that causes side effects influencing the skin or sensory system).
- Tell your primary care physician if you have ever had:
- liver infection;
- kidney infection; or
- a seizure.
- It is not clearly known whether this medication will hurt an unborn child. Tell your health care provider if you are pregnant.
- Carisoprodol can go into human milk and may cause withdrawal effects in a nursing child.
- This medication is not for use by anybody younger than 16 years of age.
- Adults over 65-70 years of age might be over-sensitive with the adverse impacts of this medication.
- Take carisoprodol precisely as the doctor prescribes you. Follow all the instructions on your medicine label and read all drug aides or guidance sheets.
- Carisoprodol might be dependency or habit forming, and abuse can cause compulsion, overdose, or passing. Selling or supplying with this medication is illegal.
- Take carisoprodol 3 times each day and at sleep time and ought to be just be taken for 2 or 3 weeks. Call your health care provider if your side effects don’t improve, or on the off chance that they deteriorate. Adhere to your primary care physician’s dosing directions cautiously.
- Try not to quit utilizing this medication abruptly after long haul use, or you could have upsetting withdrawal side effects. Ask your primary care physician how to stop using this medication securely.
- Carisoprodol is just a part of a total program of treatment that may likewise incorporate rest, exercise-based recuperation, or other help with discomfort measures. Adhere to your primary care physician’s guidelines.
- Store at room temperature away from any dampness and warmth.
- Monitor your medication. Carisoprodol is a medication of misuse, and you ought to know whether anybody is utilizing it inappropriately or without a remedy.
The common Carisoprodol side effects include:
Severe side effects may include:
- Carisoprodol addiction
- Allergic reactions
Other Carisoprodol side effects include:
- Upset stomach
- Skin rash
- Fast heart rate